Who We Are and What We Believe
We profess the Holy Catholic and Apostolic Faith professed by the whole Church before the disunion of East and West; more particularly, as professed by the Church of England as it adheres to the doctrine of the Cross.
Adapted from Bishop Thomas Ken (1637-1711)
Saint Peter’s is the Pro-Cathedral of the Diocese of the Western States led by the Most Rev. James E. Provence. It is a founding member of the the Anglican Province of Christ the King.
We are Christ-centered, celebrating Apostolic Christianity in the Anglican tradition. Our beliefs are founded on Holy Scripture, the ancient creeds of the Church, and New Testament morality. They are expressed in the 1928 Book of Common Prayer, used in our worship services.
A History of the Anglican Province of Christ the King
In the aftermath of World War II, attacks upon the Christian faith concerned many Episcopalians. These attacks peaked in the 1976 General Convention in Minneapolis, Minnesota, when the Episcopal Church made sweeping changes. The convention abandoned the majestic spirituality and apostolic faith of the 1928 Book of Common Prayer. The convention allowed bishops and priests to break their vows and renounce the doctrines and disciplines of the apostolic Church.
Inspired by the Holy Spirit, Episcopalian clergy and laity gathered in 1977 in St. Louis, Missouri. They issued a statement of faith, the Affirmation of St. Louis, which confirmed their belief in orthodox Christianity. With the authority of the Affirmation, six parishes formed the Anglican Province of Christ the King, electing as Bishop the Rev. Robert Sherwood Morse, rector of St. Peter’s, Oakland, California. Father Morse was consecrated to the episcopacy by the requisite three bishops on January 28, 1978. The Rt. Rev. Albert A. Chambers, retired Episcopal Bishop of Springfield, Illinois, served as chief consecrator.
The Province of Christ the King has grown to four dioceses: the Diocese of the Western States, the Diocese of the Eastern States, the Diocese of the Southwestern States, and the Diocese of the Southern States. The Province maintains national headquarters in San Francisco, California.
In 1979, to ensure future priests would be trained in the apostolic faith, the Province of Christ the King established Saint Joseph of Arimathea Anglican Theological College in Berkeley, California, under the patronage of this legendary founder of English Christianity.
We embody the Anglican faith that produced the King James Bible, the literature of writers such as William Shakespeare, T.S. Eliot, C.S. Lewis, and Dorothy Sayers, eleven U.S. presidents and most of our nation’s founding fathers.
A Short History of Saint Peter’s
Saint Peter’s is Founded
In 1909 the Rev. Edgar F. Gee, Rector of St. John’s, Oakland, held afternoon services in a store on Shafter Avenue in the Rockridge area. Bishop Nichols confirmed the first group of Confirmands, and on February 4, 1912, made Saint Peter’s a mission with fifteen communicants.
We Become a Parish
On March 26, 1913, the mission petitioned to organize as a parish, and on June 29 the cornerstone was laid. The building was completed and the first service held on Palm Sunday, April 5, 1914. The first floor served as the sanctuary and the church school rooms, and the second floor was the community room and stage. A distinctive feature of the building was four gargoyles at each corner, two which remain today. On April 18, 1916, a special meeting called for the purchase of additional land on the adjoining corner of Broadway and Lawton Avenues, where the present church is now located.
We Grow Sacramentally
St. Peter’s has been blessed with a wonderful spirit since its founding. Our rectors have each added their own talent to our growing community of believers. The Rev. Canon Lewis Gottschall served from 1935 to 1966 and oversaw plans for the present church.
In 1957 the cornerstone was laid and blessed by Bishop Karl M. Block. Many memorials, such as the brilliant stained glass windows, were included in the new church. The late Most Rev. Robert Sherwood Morse, served as Rector from 1966 to 1984. The Rev. George Clendenin served from 1984 to 2005, the Rev. Roderick Pomroy from 2005 to 2011. Today the Rev. Michael Mautner serves as Rector of St. Peter’s.
Blessed with a stunning sanctuary, large parish hall, Church School classrooms, and nursery, Saint Peter’s has many opportunities to worship God and serve the community. Children grow up in the faith and return with their children. Grandparents remember the early days. We are a family of God, generations woven together with Scripture, Creed, and Sacrament.
While the parish was originally composed of Rockridge area residents, today’s members come from as far away as northern Marin County and Contra Costa County.
Saint Peter’s welcomes all who seek the love of God and an eternal and unchanging faith, founded in Christ and expressed in a timeless liturgy.